Given the current economic, legal, and sociopolitical environment, GSRJ believes that estate planning attorneys have a duty to advise all clients on the necessity of, and the techniques for achieving, wealth protection (sometimes referred to as “asset protection”).
Thus, the attorneys at GSRJ have extensive knowledge of, and practical experience implementing, the various techniques available to preserve individual wealth from threats such as divorce, litigation, future creditors, and investment risk. These techniques include the optimization of state and federal exemptions for assets, such as homestead, retirement plans, annuities and life insurance, marital property planning, the use of inter vivos marital, dynasty, and children’s trusts, and tax and entity planning. In addition, GSRJ is one of the leading firms in providing advice regarding wealth preservation and risk management through the implementation of foreign trust and related business, investment, and life insurance structures, and assisting clients with the tax planning and compliance aspects of such structures.
Leslie Giordani and her former partner, Duncan Osborne, directed the original editing and authored many chapters of the four-volume treatise, Asset Protection: Domestic and International Law and Tactics, which was published by Thomson/West Group (formerly by Clark Boardman Callaghan) in 1995. It remains the leading treatise in the area of asset protection. The attorneys at GSRJ maintain strong relationships with fiduciaries, money managers, and attorneys in more than a dozen foreign jurisdictions, and ensure the continued integrity of international planning by conforming to strict due diligence and “know your client” policies. In the area of “outbound” international estate planning, GSRJ attorneys are experienced in assisting U.S. clients with settling offshore trusts and forming various foreign entities that provide clients with a comfortable balance of control and protection of assets, allowing clients to manage their family’s wealth risk and accumulate assets for future generations. With respect to “inbound” international estate planning, attorneys at GSRJ assist U.S. taxpayers and non-U.S. trustees with managing the complex U.S. tax aspects of foreign non-grantor trusts and foreign company structures, and provide advice on the multi-jurisdictional tax and treaty issues applicable to international private clients.
In addition, GSRJ attorneys advise non-U.S. individuals regarding the tax and legal issues involved in pre-immigration planning, temporary residency, and planning for gifts to their U.S.-resident families, both during lifetime and at death.
Ms. Giordani primarily represents high net worth individuals and family offices in a wide variety of legal matters. Her particular focus is domestic and international trust, investment, and life insurance structures.View Attorney Profile
Mr. Swanger has extensive experience in assisting U.S. and non-U.S. clients with the design and implementation of traditional and more sophisticated estate planning and asset protection strategies.View Attorney Profile
Mr. Ripp represents high net worth individuals and family offices in the design, implementation, and administration of domestic and international trust, investment, and life insurance structures.View Attorney Profile
Ms. Jetel is focused on the design, implementation, and administration of international trust and entity structures and assists clients around the country and around the world with estate planning and asset protection.View Attorney Profile
Mr. Baker advises on a wide variety of estate and business succession, charitable giving, and estate and trust administration matters.View Attorney Profile
- Protecting Wealth and Reducing Taxes: Your Clients Can Have Their Cake and Eat It Too!, Amy P. Jetel and Bob Chesner
- International Asset Protection Planning, IR Global Virtual Round Table Series, December 2016, with contributions from Leslie C. Giordani
- Dealing with International Assets in Estate Planning, Bloomberg BNA Tax Management International Journal, 2016, Amy P. Jetel and Lauren M. Fitte
- Inbound Estate Planning for Nonresident Aliens, Bloomberg BNA Tax Management International Journal, 2015, Amy P. Jetel and Lauren M. Fitte
- Inbound Essentials: Estate and Income Tax Planning for Nonresident Aliens, Bloomberg BNA Tax Management Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal, 2014, Amy P. Jetel and Lauren M. Fitte
- Using Life Insurance and Annuities in U.S. Tax Planning for Foreign Clients, BNA Tax Management International, March 2010, Leslie C. Giordani, Michael H. Ripp, Jr., & Mari M. Reed
- An Elegant Solution, STEP Journal, February 2010, Leslie C. Giordani, Michael H. Ripp, Jr., & Mari M. Reed
- Asset Protection Basics, Leslie C. Giordani & Bruce S. Kentros
- An Overview of Asset Protection in Texas, Amy P. Jetel
- Are Business Entities A Viable Option for Asset Protection in Texas?, Amy P. Jetel
- Asset Protection Trusts in Texas? Really?, Amy P. Jetel
- The Alarming Potential for Foreclosure and Dissolution by an LLC Member’s Personal Creditors, Probate & Property, May/June 2006, Elizabeth M. Schuring & Amy P. Jetel
- Fact or Fiction – A Charging Order is the Exclusive Remedy Against a Partnership Interest, Probate & Property, November/December 2003, Elizabeth M. Schuring & Amy P. Jetel
- Offshore Life Insurance Planning for U.S. Clients, ACTEC Notes, Summer 2000, Leslie C. Giordani & Derry W. Swanger
- Will the Alaska Trusts Work?, Journal of Asset Protection, September/October 1997, Leslie C. Giordani & Duncan E. Osborne
- Asset Protection: Domestic and International Law and Tactics, West Law, 1994, Four Volumes (Updated Quarterly)